After the event was announced, a few readers asked us when to expect orders to begin for the new MacBook Pro models, should they be announced.
While nothing is for certain until Apple says so, almost all new Macs announced at an Apple Event over the last five years were made available to order on the same day of the event. The only exception was the 24-inch iMac earlier this year.
We left the iMac Pro and the latest Mac Pro out of the list because these machines were previewed during WWDC keynotes many months before they were ready to launch.
- 2016: The first MacBook Pro models with the Touch Bar were announced at an Apple Event on Thursday, October 27, 2016 and became available to order on the same day. Shipments began in 2-3 weeks, with customers beginning to receive their orders around Monday, November 14.
- 2017: New MacBook, MacBook Pro, MacBook Air, and iMac models were announced at WWDC on Monday, June 5, 2017. All of the new Macs became available to order on the same day and began arriving to customers on Wednesday, June 7.
- 2018: New MacBook Air and Mac mini models were announced at an Apple Event on Tuesday, October 30, 2018. Both new Macs became available to order on the same day and began arriving to customers on Wednesday, November 7.
- 2020: The first Macs with the M1 chip, including the MacBook Air, lower-end 13-inch MacBook Pro, and lower-end Mac mini, were announced at an Apple Event on Tuesday, November 10, 2020. All of the new Macs became available to order on the same day and began arriving to customers on Tuesday, November 17.
- 2021: The colorful new 24-inch iMac with the M1 chip was announced at an Apple Event on Tuesday, April 20, 2021 and became available to order on Friday, April 30. The new iMac began arriving to customers on Friday, May 21.
New Macs announced with a press release on Apple Newsroom also typically become available to order on the same day of the announcement, including the 16-inch MacBook Pro in 2019 and the latest 27-inch iMac in August 2020.
While the 24-inch iMac broke the trend of same-day ordering for new Macs, likely due to pandemic-related supply chain issues, it remains to be seen if the new MacBook Pro models will follow suit with delayed ordering. At a minimum, customers interested in an M1X MacBook Pro likely won’t have to set a Friday morning alarm like for iPhones.
YouTube is planning to stop supporting its YouTube app on the third-generation Apple TV models, where YouTube has long been available as a channel option.
A 9to5Mac reader received a message about the upcoming app discontinuation, which is set to take place in March.Starting early March, the YouTube app will no longer be available on Apple TV (3rd generation). You can still watch YouTube on…
A bug in the built-in Calculator app in iOS 11 is getting some major attention this week, despite the fact that it’s been around since iOS 11 was in beta testing.
At issue is a calculator animation that causes some symbols to be ignored when calculations are entered in rapid succession. You can try it for yourself: Type 1+2+3 and then the equals sign into the Calculator app quickly.
The iPhone 12 and iPhone 12 Pro arrived in October 2020 in a range of color options, with entirely new hues available on both devices, as well as some popular classics. The 12 and 12 Pro have different color choices, so if you have your heart set on a particular shade, you might not be able to get your preferred model in that color.
iPhone 12 mini and iPhone 12
The iPhone 12 mini and iPhone…
Serif today announced across-the-board updates for its popular suite of Affinity creative apps, including Affinity Photo, Affinity Designer, and the Apple award-winning Affinity Publisher for Mac, all of which were among the first professional creative suites to be optimized for Apple’s new M1 chip. “After another year which saw record numbers of people switching to Affinity, it’s exciting to…
Google has rolled out picture-in-picture support as an “experimental” feature for YouTube premium subscribers, allowing them to watch video in a small window when the app is closed.
If you’re a premium YouTube subscriber looking to try out picture-in-picture, follow these steps: Launch a web browser and sign into your YouTube account at YouTube.com.
Navigate to www.youtube.com/new.
The finish line is in sight! Apple’s annual iPhone event is likely just a week or so away and all eyes will be on the company as it unveils the next version of its most popular product line. With any luck, we’ll also see the next-generation Apple Watch and perhaps even some new AirPods.
Other news this week saw Apple making some more changes to its App Store policies in response to a…
Last week, Bloomberg reported that Apple is working on a high-end version of the Mac mini with additional ports and featuring the same Apple silicon chip expected to debut in the upcoming redesigned MacBook Pro. Now, new renders from Apple leaker Jon Prosser have potentially given us our first look at this upcoming Mac.
According to renders made by Ian Zelbo in collaboration with Prosser,…