Shortly after the release of Minecraft: Java Edition Snapshot 21w17a, Mojang Studios is releasing Minecraft: Bedrock Edition Beta 188.8.131.52 to test a whole host of new features coming in Minecraft‘s upcoming Caves and Cliffs Update. Today’s beta will be a big one for some players, as Mojang Studios pulls a ton of already-tested features out from underneath the “experimental features” toggle and into the general beta.
This is presumably to continue separate features into two updates after the Caves and Cliffs Update was split into two parts and partially delayed. Now, the Caves and Cliffs Update release is being split between summer and winter later this year.
Either way, players will now be able to test features coming in the Caves and Cliffs Update like axolotl, glow squid, dripstone, goats, and more. There are also tons of tweaks and improvements to features that were already available from the first Caves and Cliffs Update beta.
Even though the Caves and Cliffs Update has been partially delayed and split into two releases, there’s still plenty to be excited about. Minecraft now boasts of nearly 140 million monthly active players, which shows that Minecraft continues to grow at a steady and impressive rate. If you’re one of those 140 million, consider taking a look at our list of best Minecraft merch, toys, and gifts.
In case you missed it, I recently took a look at why Mojang Studios still feels like an underfunded studio despite Minecraft’s massive success.
The full changelog for Minecraft: Bedrock Edition Beta 184.108.40.206 includes:
- Axolotls are now available outside the Caves and Cliffs experiment
- Axolotls can be rehydrated with Splash Water Bottle and Lingering Water Bottle
- Axolotls now have their missing sounds
- Axolotls now swim way more often
- Updated the axolotl and glow squid spawn rules. They can now spawn in any biome and up to y=63 instead of y=30
- Cobblestone and Cobbled Deepslate are now used to repair stone items on an Anvil
- Powder Snow is now available in the Creative inventory
- Using a Bucket of Powder Snow on a Cauldron filled with Powder Snow results in a Powder Snow block being placed above the Cauldron
- Cauldrons fill up in snowy weather, creating a renewable source of Powder Snow
- Most mobs cannot walk on Powder Snow, but fall into the block instead
- Mobs inside a block of Powder Snow start to freeze and eventually take damage
- Players can protect themselves from Powder Snow by equipping leather armor
- Buckets can be used to scoop up and place Powder Snow
- Fall damage is now correctly prevented when a player or mob falls on a single powder snow block
- Glow Lichen is now visibly as close to the surface it is placed on as Java Edition
- Glow Lichen now has a map color that more closely resembles the color of the block
- Colors applied to text on signs are no longer barely visible
- Amethysts, Amethyst Shards, Amethyst Cluster Variants, Amethyst Buds, Budding Amethysts, Tuff Blocks, Calcite, and Smooth Basalt are now available in the Creative inventory
- Spyglass is now available in the Creative inventory
- Deepslate is now available in the Creative inventory
- Azalea Leaves and Flowered Azalea Leaves have correct color on maps
- Small dripleaf can now be placed on moss
- Lush Cave blocks are now available in the Creative inventory
- Dripstone is now available outside the Caves and Cliffs experimental toggle
- Pointed dripstone is now available outside the Caves and Cliffs experimental toggle
- Water drips from stalactites
- Glow Squid are now available outside the Caves and Cliffs experimental toggle
- Glow Item Frames are now available outside the Caves and Cliffs experimental toggle
- Glow Ink is now available outside the Caves and Cliffs experimental toggle
- Maps now glow in Glow Item Frames
- Goats no longer drop Mutton when killed
- Goats are now available outside the Caves and Cliffs experimental toggle
- Waxed Oxidized Cut Copper Slabs can now be merged into full Waxed Oxidized Cut Copper blocks
- Copper is now available in the Creative inventory
- Lightning Rod is now available in the Creative inventory
- Using Bone Meal on a sapling planted on a Moss block now correctly grows a tree
- Pointed Dripstone now correctly gets destroyed after the block it was placed on are broken by block updates
- Fortune enchantment now cause more raw iron/gold/copper ore to be dropped
- Raw copper, iron and gold ore are now available outside the experimental toggle
- The “Caves and Cliffs” toggle is now correctly localized
Tweaks & bug fixes
- Players can once again host multiplayer games and send invites over mobile / cellular data
- Chemistry items icons no longer disappear after suspend / resume in Education Edition worlds
- Fixed issue with underwater fog being the same for all Biomes and view distance not increasing over time
- Underwater view distance is increased in Rivers and land biomes to be more like Minecraft Java when “Caves and Cliffs” experiment toggle is enabled
- Boats now break when they collide with a Cactus from the side
- Changed the position of bow to match previous versions
- Crossbows in players’ and mobs’ hands are now rendered correctly in all perspective modes
- Fixed animation issue causing an off-hand held shield to appear to re-equip whenever the player changes their main-hand item
- Cauldrons that have been emptied after containing potion are now correctly filled with water when it rains
- Fixed issue where Fireworks of all colors could be crafted from any other color of Firework Charges
- Blazes and Enderman once again receive damage from splash water bottles
- Fixed a bug where mobs would not spawn below y=0 when the Caves and Cliffs experimental toggle is enabled
- Mobs and entities once again make a sound when entering water
- Updated the appearance of the loading screen
- Android should once again see invite notifications and achievement toasts!
- Fixed an issue with certain blocks which could cause them to grow too quickly when ticked
/setworldspawn command is now prohibited in legacy worlds and affected worlds will reset their altered spawn positions to the original position
Add-ons & script engine
- Added a
MoLangquery to get default bone pivots
MoLangquery to return normalized item use time remaining based off given parameters
A gaming masterpiece
Available everywhere you play.
Minecraft is an inarguable and complete success. It has sold copies in the hundreds of millions, has a huge following of dedicated players, and lets you unlock your every creative desire. It’s also available on every platform imaginable, including Xbox, Windows 10, PlayStation, Nintendo Switch, Android, and iOS. Play with anyone and play anywhere.
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.