We finally know what the next update for Minecraft is going to be. While the Nether Update is fantastic, Minecraft fans have been looking to the future and seeking out the next improvements enroute for the world’s largest game, and Mojang Studios has officially delivered at Minecraft Live, revealing the absolutely humongous Caves and Cliffs Update. We have all the key information you need to know about what might be the biggest Minecraft update in years.
At Minecon 2019, Mojang Studios held a vote to decide on the next biome to be updated, and the Mountain biome won out. It was commonly speculated that a “Mountain Update” was next on the cards for Minecraft, possibly for a late 2020 release, but fans kept asking for the mythical “Cave Update” that has been a subject of conversation for a long while now. With the Caves and Cliffs Update, Mojang Studios will deliver both at once:
- New generation for caves and mountains. Minecraft is about to get a whole lot more beautiful, with more diverse and creative generation planned for both caves and mountains. Caves, in particular, will get several different varieties, including lush caves filled with life, and dripstone caves filled with stalactites and stalagmites.
- New mobs. Lots of new life is coming to Minecraft, with the devastating Warden hostile mob, the friendly and cute Axolotl underwater creature, and even mountain goats to adorn the sides of your local mountains.
- Archeology system. A new form of mining will arrive with the Caves and Cliffs Update that sees players carefully excavate rare and fragile artifacts by brushing away debris rather than whacking things with a pickaxe.
- Bundle items. Managing your inventory just got a whole lot easier, with a new “Bundle Items” feature planned for Caves and Cliffs that will allow players to bunch together similar things in their inventory.
- New ores, items, and more. Search for the new copper ore, or gorgeous crystal geodes that can be mined for new crafting materials. With the Caves and Cliffs Update, there are going to be a ton of new crafting recipes including sculk sensors to detect movement, telescopes, lightning rods, leaf platforms, and a whole lote more.
- And that’s not all… Mojang Studios is setting out to make the Caves and Cliffs Update the most exciting update Minecraft has had in a while, and that means there will be a ton of changes, improvements, and new features that we haven’t learned about today, and won’t become evident until later on. Make sure to tune in to us here at Windows Central, because we’ll be following the update all the way until the end.
The Caves and Cliffs Update is going to need extra time in the oven before its ready for the public, so Mojang Studios is estimating a Summer 2021 release window for their next Minecraft release. That means you’ll be waiting quite a while to see these new features and changes, but the wait should be well worth it for any Minecraft fan.
What do you hope to see in the Caves and Cliffs Update? Are you excited for what Mojang Studios has planned here? Let us know in the comments below!
A gaming masterpiece
Available everywhere you play.
Minecraft is an inarguable and complete success. It has sold copies in the hundreds of millions, has a huge following of dedicated players, and lets you unlock your every creative desire. It’s also available on every platform imaginable, including Xbox One, Windows 10, Playstation 4, and Nintendo Switch. Play with anyone, and play anywhere.