Many video calling apps support background images. These allow you to set up an image behind you that’s different than your actual surroundings. They’re a great tool if you want to make a call look more professional by hiding a messy room or adding a company logo (more important than ever now a lot of us are working from home. Alternatively, you can add a silly background in a relaxed call to have a bit of fun. Right now, you can select from a collection of backgrounds built into Microsoft Teams. If you want to add your own background images, you’ll have to jump through a few folders, but it’s not difficult if you know where to look.
Products used in this guide
How to upload a custom background in Microsoft Teams
While there are some backgrounds available within Microsoft Teams that are built right in, you may way to upload your own images. You can do this by places images in the uploads folder for Microsoft Teams.
- Open the File Explorer.
- Click This PC.
- Select Windows (C:).
- Open the Users folder.
- Select your user profile.
- Click the View tab at the top of File Explorer.
- Check the Hidden items checkbox.
- Open the AppData folder. Note: this won’t appear if you haven’t checked to see hidden items.
- Open the Roaming folder
- Open the Microsoft folder. Do not go to the Microsoft Teams folder by mistake.
- Open the Teams folder within the Microsoft folder.
- Open the Backgrounds folder.
- Open the Uploads folder.
- Place the image you want within the uploads folder.
- Right-click on the Uploads folder and select Pin to Quick access (optional).
To save yourself time when uploading more images, you can pin the Uploads folder to Quick Access. That way, it will always appear on the side of your File Explorer.
How to set a custom background in Microsoft Teams
Whether you’re setting a background from an image you’ve uploaded or one of the images that’s built into Microsoft Teams, the process is the same.
- Within a video call, select the More actions button (three dots).
- Select Show background effects.
- Scroll down and select the image you’ve uploaded.
- Select Preview to preview how your background will look (optional).
- Select Apply or Apply and turn on video if your webcam is currently off.