Minecraft Dungeons follows in the footsteps of its wiser elder sibling, Minecraft, by constantly evolving with new updates and content over time. Numerous major premium expansions and free updates have been released for Minecraft Dungeons, and the game has changed significantly since its launch because of it. Now, Mojang Studios has revealed what the next stage for Minecraft Dungeons is, and it actually takes the co-op action-RPG far below the surface and under the waves.
Hidden Depths is the fifth major DLC expansion for Minecraft Dungeons, and is the polar opposite of the last expansion that came before it. Pools of lava are traded for oceans of water, and violent reds are swapped for deep blues. Expect new underwater locations filled with very wet enemies, and a whole pile of sweet new gear to go along with it.
Here’s everything we know about the Hidden Depths DLC for Minecraft Dungeons.
When is the release date for the Hidden Depths DLC for Minecraft Dungeons?
Fortunately, Mojang Studios didn’t waste any time declaring the release date for the Hidden Depths DLC for Minecraft Dungeons, revealing it during the initial announcement.
The Hidden Depths DLC for Minecraft Dungeons releases on May 26, 2021, and will release on Xbox Series X, Xbox Series S, Xbox One, PC, PS5, PS4, and Nintendo Switch. A free update will also launch for all Minecraft Dungeons players at the exact same time.
Minecraft Dungeons is also available for Xbox Game Pass on consoles and PC, and can be played with Xbox Cloud Gaming through Xbox Game Pass Ultimate on your mobile device or browser. However, the Hidden Depths DLC will not be included in these services standard, and will still have to be purchased either separately or as part of the Minecraft Dungeons Season Pass. You can also refer to our guide on which version of Minecraft Dungeons you should buy for some additional guidance.
What is the Hidden Depths DLC for Minecraft Dungeons?
Hidden Depths was initially teased for Minecraft Dungeons during Minecraft Live 2020, and takes the game to a familiar yet strange environment: the ocean. Or, more specifically, underneath the surface of the ocean. Like every other DLC before it, Hidden Depths will also launch alongside an expansive free update that will include a number of changes and new features available to all players.
The fifth expansion for Minecraft Dungeons will have players explore all-new environments entirely contained underwater, meaning altered physics and oxygen levels will be new concerns for players. Hopefully, Mojang Studios delivers a challenging yet balanced experience that brings new levels of, ahem, depth to Minecraft Dungeons.
What do I need to know about the Hidden Depths DLC for Minecraft Dungeons?
More and more information will be revealed about the Hidden Depths DLC for Minecraft Dungeons as we get closer to its launch at the end of May, 2021, but for now all we have to work with are a myriad of teases from Mojang Studios and the initial announcement. Like previous expansions for Minecraft Dungeons, we expect Hidden Depths to include at least three new levels (at least one of which will be a secret mission), a variety of unique enemies and mobs (both familiar and new), themed gear that provides specific bonuses and abilities, and a new boss to cap it all off.
Because there’s not a ton of information available for the Hidden Depths DLC for Minecraft Dungeons yet, we’re not dividing everything into full categories. Instead, here’s a list of the most significant features and additions we’ve noticed about the Hidden Depths DLC for Minecraft Dungeons:
- Oxygen levels are important. For the Hidden Depths DLC, the traditional health bar is being split into two! Players will also need to keep a close eye on their oxygen levels whenever they’re underwater in order to avoid drowning. Special locations in areas will let you refill your oxygen and take some refreshing breaths. There will also be a new consumable item that lets you breathe underwater temporarily, which may drop from killing mobs or from supply chests. As you explore, you may find other ways to help manage your oxygen supply while you explore the Hidden Depths DLC.
- Pufferfish are a threat? It looks like the neutral mob included in the Hidden Depths DLC will be pufferfish. While these adorable guys won’t actively look to kill you, they are easily startled. Keep your eyes peeled for these unassuming fish or you may be surprised when they puff up and show you their spikes up close.
- Underwater areas present new challenges. Minecraft Dungeons going underwater is far from a cosmetic-only change. Aside from now needing to worry about, you know, breathing, players will also have to keep in mind various changes from levels being underwater. Clam launchers can be mastered to launch you into new areas, the dash is now an underwater roll, and arrows are a little different than they are up on land (fast-moving projectiles don’t respond well to water, apparently).
- Dolphins are your friends. Another new mob coming to Minecraft Dungeons is the trusty dolphin, which can give you an underwater speed boost if you find one. Don’t hurt the dolphins, as they could be important allies!
- Lots of other new mobs and enemies. Besides the interesting pufferfish and fun dolphins, lots of other mobs can be spotted in the Hidden Depths DLC. Guardians and elder guardians will be among the more challenging mobs found in Minecraft Dungeons’ fifth expansion (the final boss for Hidden Depths could be a corrupted version of an elder guardian!), drowned are making the jump from vanilla Minecraft, turtles and squids can be seen swimming around, and underwater-themed versions of existing mobs like skeletons will make an appearance. There’s also at least one new mob that we don’t know much about right now.
- The Hidden Depths are gorgeous. This expansion for Minecraft Dungeons could end up being one of the most visually stunning DLC yet (and that’s saying a lot coming from Howling Peaks and Flames of the Nether). Coral reefs, subterranean caverns, sunken galley ships, long-lost volcanic monuments, and much more can all be found in the Hidden Depths DLC for Minecraft Dungeons. There will certainly be plenty of reasons to explore, but don’t stop and admire the scenery for too long without an oxygen supply nearby.
- A free update with lots of new content. There will also be a free update launching alongside the Hidden Depths DLC for Minecraft Dungeons. We know this one will also include some exciting changes and additions for Minecraft Dungeons, and we break all of this down and more right below.
What is the free update with the Hidden Depths DLC for Minecraft Dungeons?
Like every other premium expansion that came before it, the Hidden Depths DLC for Minecraft Dungeons will also include a free update available to all players. It’s not immediately clear just how big this free update will be, but Mojang Studios has already revealed some of the new features we can expect from the next major free update.
For one, additional enchantments will be added with the free update to Minecraft Dungeons. We don’t know exactly what the new enchantments are going to be, but it’s almost certain that many of them will be water-themed or provide benefits and bonuses when underwater.
The biggest new feature coming in the free update alongside the Hidden Depths DLC is certainly Raid Captains! From what we understand, Raid Captains are a new endgame feature, similar to Ancient Hunts from the Flames of the Nether DLC, that will provide a new level of challenge for players. Raid Captains will be super powerful mobs hidden in all the levels and areas of Minecraft Dungeons. If players find a Raid Captain, they can opt to take it down in exchange for powerful loot.
This sounds pretty similar to Ancient Mobs from the aforementioned Ancient Hunts or area bosses, so we expect something else to truly set Raid Captains apart from everything else that already exists in Minecraft Dungeons.
Besides new features and content, the free update will also likely include new bug fixes, tweaks and general improvements, and balancing changes to make existing enchantments, gear, and abilities more fair to the game. If you were expecting this free update to also include cross-save support, you missed it! Minecraft Dungeons now officially has cross-save support across all the platforms it’s available on, meaning you’ll never have to worry about losing your progress or needing to start over.
What is the price for the Hidden Depths DLC for Minecraft Dungeons?
Just as important as the release date is how much the Hidden Depths DLC for Minecraft Dungeons will cost. Fortunately, precedent and known information practically guarantee the pricing for the Hidden Depths DLC, so there are no secrets here.
For one, the Hidden Depths DLC is already included in the Minecraft Dungeons Season Pass, which includes Howling Peaks, Flames of the Nether, Hidden Depths, and one more unannounced DLC that will likely take place in the End. If you love Minecraft Dungeons and want to see everything the game has to offer, the Season Pass is legitimately a great value and includes a ton of content.
If you’d rather purchase the Hidden Depths DLC by itself, the exact price hasn’t been confirmed yet. However, based on literally every other previous DLC for Minecraft Dungeons, we can be fairly confident that the Hidden Depths DLC will run for $6 by itself. You’ll have to wait for Hidden Depths to launch to purchase it standalone officially, but anyone can buy the Season Pass right now (giving you access to the two awesome expansions already included and Hidden Depths on May 26).
The free update launching alongside Hidden Depths is, well, free, so all players will gain all of its features and changes even if they don’t own the Minecraft Dungeons Season Pass or the Hidden Depths DLC. Minecraft Dungeons’ free updates improve the base game over time with new content.
Of course, Minecraft Dungeons still lets you access all of the content from any of its expansions as long as the lobby leader has purchased the content. That means you can play with a friend who has the Minecraft Dungeons Season Pass or the Hidden Depths DLC and play through all the new levels with them. All the gear and loot you find is yours to keep, as well! This is one of the best features of Minecraft Dungeons, and highlights how integral co-op play is to getting the best experience in Minecraft Dungeons.
Minecraft Dungeons is already one of the best Xbox Game Pass games, and every update and expansion makes it even better. Getting the most out of Minecraft Dungeons means playing with friends, so invest in one of the best Xbox Series X|S headsets to ensure you can always keep in touch with your friends.