During the May 7 showcase for third-party Xbox Series X games, one title was revealed by Polish studio Bloober Team. It’s called The Medium and it’s being developed exclusively for Xbox Series X and high-end PCs. While there’s still a lot we don’t know, we’ve compiled all the information we have on this next-generation horror game, which may yet end up as one of the best Xbox horror games.
The Medium gameplay and features
- The Medium was initially conceived as a project all the way back in 2012.
- Unlike past Bloober titles, The Medium is not a first-person game but instead uses fixed camera angles, like in Until Dawn.
- You play as Marianne, a woman haunted by visions of a child’s death.
- The game begins with Marianne traveling to an abandoned hotel resort.
- The soundtrack is being composed by Bloober’s own Arkadiusz Reikowski and Akira Yamoaka, the composer for the Silent Hill franchise.
- Reikowski is scoring the music for the physical world, while Yamoaka scored the spiritual world.
- The two worlds interact in what Bloober teases is a “super secret feature” only possible on next-generation hardware. “I can say it’s something to do with how the worlds interact with each other,” lead designer Piejko teases, “and how you will be able to experience them.”
- The Medium is Xbox Series X Optimized, supporting 4K and DirectX Ray Tracing on Xbox Series X.
- According to Game Producer Jacek Zieba, there are essentially no loading times.
- You can find the list of PC requirements that have been released.
- There is a monstrous creature known as The Maw.
Is The Medium coming to PS5?
The Medium release date
Dimensions of horror
Two worlds joined in terror
The Medium is a horror game that lets players go back and forth between the physical world and the spirit world. Using this dual-reality gameplay is necessary for solving puzzles and uncovering a horrific mystery.
Best of both worlds
Xbox Game Pass and Xbox Live Gold in one
Xbox Game Pass gives you access to over 200 games for one monthly fee. Xbox Game Pass Ultimate also adds Xbox Live Gold to the package so you can play online with your friends. Right now, you can purchase a three-month subscription for a great price.