What you need to know
- Dell, HP, and Acer shared pages and tools to help people know if their PCs will be able to upgrade to Windows 11.
- Microsoft has a PC Health Check app that can let you know if a PC can upgrade to the new OS.
- Generally speaking, new PCs from Dell, HP, and Acer can upgrade, but it’s worth checking your specific configuration.
Microsoft announced Windows 11 yesterday. Following the announcement, people have rushed to check if their PCs will be able to upgrade to the new operating system. Major manufacturers, including Dell, HP, and Acer, have shared tools and resources to help people know if they can upgrade to Windows 11.
Regardless of which manufacturer makes your PC, you can check to see if your system meets the minimum requirements for Windows 11. Microsoft has a page breaking down the requirements and a PC Health Check app that can tell you if your PC will be able to upgrade to Windows 11.
Source: Daniel Rubino/Windows Central
Dell also has an extensive list of Dell computers testing for an upgrade to Windows 11. There are well over 100 devices listed, so we’ll direct you to the company’s page for the complete list.
The list includes devices from the following categories:
- Alienware Desktop
- Alienware Laptop
- G-Series Desktop
- G-Series Laptop
- Inspiron Desktop
- Inspiron Laptop
- XPS Desktop
- XPS Laptop
- Vostro Desktop
- Vostro Laptop
- Precision Workstation
- Mobile Precision
When it comes to new PCs, it’s straightforward with Dell. Every PC running Windows 10 that’s sold through Dell’s website going forward will be able to upgrade to the new operating system.
Dell explains (emphasis added):
All Dell PCs with Windows 10 currently being sold on dell.com will be able to upgrade to Windows 11. For the PC to be able to upgrade to Windows 11, it must meet the minimum hardware specifications and specific hardware is required for some features. The upgrade rollout plan is still being finalized but is scheduled to begin late in 2021 and continue into 2022. Specific timing will vary by device.
Source: Windows Central
HP also shares a list of some of its devices that will be able to upgrade to Windows 11:
- Currently shipping HP Spectre, HP ENVY, and HP Pavilion portfolios, including the HP Spectre x360 14, HP ENVY x360 15, and the HP Pavilion All-in-One.
- The new OMEN and Victus by HP portfolios, including the OMEN 16, Victus by HP 16, and the OMEN 30L Desktop.
- Select SKUs from the HP Elite and HP Pro portfolios, including the HP Elite Dragonfly G2.
- Currently shipping Z by HP workstations, including the HP ZBook Studio G8.
HP’s phrasing does not imply that this is a comprehensive list, so it’s worth using the PC Health Check app to see if your PC can upgrade.
Source: Windows Central
products on the market, including those announced in the past three years, are
eligible for the free upgrade as soon as it becomes available.”
The company also has a page with more information about Windows 11.
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.