Earlier this year Asus rolled out the Android 11 update for the Zenfone 7 and 7 Pro. The latest update is still on version 11 of the OS, but it does include a new one-handed mode inspired by Android 12.
Previously, the screen would shrink uniformly, that is vertically and horizontally. The new implementation only smooshes the screen down vertically. The height can be configured in the settings. Here’s a video demo from Asus:
The update (version 22.214.171.124) includes several camera improvements as well. For one, the video camera should no longer freeze when recording 4K video at 60 fps. Another fix removes the nasty color blocks visible in photos when Beautiful Skin mode is enabled.
This update also promises to reduce lag and frame dropping issues when gaming. It also fixed the problem that prevented the Weather app from updating the forecast automatically.
Last but not least is the new security patch. The changelog doesn’t say which one, however. Here it is in its entirety:
- Updated Android security patch
- Fixed the recording freeze when using 4K 60FPS
- Fixed the obvious color blocks in the photos of beautiful skin mode
- Fixed the weather app will not update automatically
- Added One Hand mode
- Fixed the lag and frame drop issue when playing the game